Saturday, February 20, 2010

Who Am I?

I wish there was an easy answer to that question. So far the best answer I have come up with is the title of this blog. It all started in a 50,000 watt radio station in Fresno... But seriously folks, as I was preparing for ordained ministry, people would tell me that they couldn't believe that I was going to be a pastor. Now after almost 21 years of ordained service, I'm starting to understand what they meant.

I am not what you would expect from the average pastor. I am short in stature and of average looks. I am not a rah-rah in your face, motivate the troops type. But I am loyal, insightful, deep and madly in love with the Lord and want other people to love him as much as I do. I struggle with much of what passes for Christianity in America, which has more to do with justifying our privileged lifestyle rather than following after Jesus. I would much rather listen to Godsmack than God Bless America. Or, to quote Billy Joel, "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." The sinners are not only more fun, but more real and genuine.

I am who I am. I am who the Lord calls me to be. I am the unlikely pastor and these are my struggles. Welcome to my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment